HS Advisor


Study in USA

The requirements vary by institution and program, but generally, students need:

  • A completed application form
  • Proof of secondary school completion
  • Transcripts from previous institutions
  • English language proficiency (often TOEFL or IELTS scores for non-native speakers)
  • Financial proof of ability to pay tuition and living expenses

Once you receive an acceptance letter and I-20 form from a U.S. institution, you can apply for an F-1 visa. The process includes:

  • Paying the SEVIS I-901 fee
  • Completing the DS-160 form online
  • Paying the visa application fee
  • Scheduling and attending a visa interview at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate

Yes, many U.S. institutions offer scholarships to international students based on academic merit, talents, or specific criteria. It’s important to research each school’s scholarship opportunities and apply by the deadlines.

On an F-1 student visa, you’re allowed to work up to 20 hours per week on-campus during regular semesters. After completing your first academic year, you might be eligible for off-campus employment through programs like Optional Practical Training (OPT) or Curricular Practical Training (CPT).

On an F-1 visa, you’re granted a 60-day grace period after the completion of your studies (or post-study authorized employment, like OPT) to prepare to leave the USA, change your visa status, or transfer to another school.

In the U.S., the terms “college” and “university” are often used interchangeably. However, typically, colleges are smaller institutions focusing on undergraduate education, while universities might offer both undergraduate and graduate programs across various disciplines.

Most U.S. universities recognize and evaluate international qualifications. However, specific requirements vary by institution. Some may ask for a credentials evaluation by an external agency.

Remember, these are general answers and might not encompass all specifics or changes in regulations. Always refer to official guidelines and individual institution policies for the most accurate information.

OPT (Optional Practical Training) allows F-1 students to work in their field of study for up to 12 months after completing their academic program. To apply, you must request a recommendation from your Designated School Official (DSO) and file Form I-765 with USCIS.

Yes, students with degrees in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics) fields can apply for a 24-month STEM OPT extension, giving them a total of up to 36 months of OPT in the U.S.

The H1B visa is a work visa allowing U.S. companies to employ foreign workers in specialty occupations. It’s different from OPT as it is not restricted to recent graduates and can be extended beyond three years. Each year, there’s a cap on the number of H1B visas issued, and recipients are often selected through a lottery system.

Transitioning to a green card from an F-1 or H1B typically involves employer sponsorship. Your employer can file an I-140 Immigrant Petition on your behalf. Other avenues include family sponsorship or self-petitioning in specific categories like the EB-2 NIW (National Interest Waiver).

The National Interest Waiver (NIW) allows certain professionals, especially those in the STEM fields, to apply for a green card without employer sponsorship if it’s in the “national interest” of the U.S. Eligibility depends on several factors, including your expertise, work history, and the significance of your contributions to your field.

After the completion of your study program and any authorized period of practical training (like OPT), you have a 60-day grace period to depart the U.S., apply for a change of status, or transfer to another institution.

The most common route is to transition to an H1B visa. Typically, an employer sponsors your H1B petition. Alternatively, visas like the L-1 (for inter-company transfers) or O-1 (for individuals with extraordinary abilities) may be options, depending on your situation.

Yes, but it requires specific steps and can be complex. Common pathways include being sponsored by an employer, family sponsorship, or self-petitioning if you qualify for categories like EB-1A (extraordinary ability) or EB-2 NIW.

Yes, there is an annual cap for H1B visas. Currently, the cap is set at 65,000 for those with a bachelor’s degree and an additional 20,000 for those with a master’s degree or higher from U.S. institutions. However, certain employers, like universities, are exempt from this cap.

The H1B visa is initially valid for three years and can be extended up to a maximum of six years. Under specific conditions, particularly if you’ve started the green card process, you may be able to extend the H1B beyond six years.

While it’s technically possible, the process is complex. F-1 is a non-immigrant intent visa, and applying for a green card can signify immigrant intent, which may jeopardize your F-1 status. It’s essential to navigate this transition carefully, ideally with the guidance of an immigration attorney.

Your H1B visa is tied to the employer who sponsors it, and you’re authorized to work for that specific employer in the role described in the visa petition. If you wish to change jobs, your new employer must file a new H1B petition on your behalf.


Study in CANADA

Letter of Acceptance: Obtain a formal letter of acceptance from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in Canada.

Proof of Funds: Demonstrate you have enough money to pay for:

  • Tuition fees
  • Living expenses for yourself (and any accompanying family members)
  • Return transportation for yourself (and family members)
  • No Criminal Record: Provide a police certificate confirming you have no criminal record.
  • Health Examination: Undergo a medical exam if required.
  • Statement of Purpose (SOP): An essay explaining why you wish to study in Canada.
  • Immigration Medical Examination (IME): Certain applicants might need a medical exam.
  • English or French Proficiency: Depending on the institution, prove your proficiency in English or French through tests like IELTS, TOEFL for English, or TEF for French.
  • Valid Passport: Ensure your passport is valid for the entire duration of your intended stay.
  • Compliance with Regulations: Convince an immigration officer that you’ll leave Canada upon the completion of your studies.

Canada is known for its world-class educational institutions, multicultural environment, and a high quality of life. Moreover, the country offers opportunities for post-study work and pathways to permanent residency, making it a top choice for international students.

Canada boasts a range of top-tier universities and colleges. Depending on your desired course, research opportunities, location preference, and budget, you can research and shortlist institutions. Websites like Universities Canada can provide valuable information.

Yes, many Canadian universities offer scholarships specifically for international students. Additionally, organizations like the Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship Program and the Canadian Government Awards provide financial aid opportunities.

Canadian universities often emphasize research and practical experience. Co-op programs, where students alternate between studying and working in their field of study, are also popular in Canada.

While Canada is a bilingual country, not all programs require French proficiency. However, if you’re considering studying in Quebec or at a Francophone institution, French might be required.

Canada has several immigration pathways for international graduates, including the Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) and immigration streams under the Express Entry system and Provincial Nominee Program.

To study in Canada, international students usually need a Study Permit, which acts as a student visa and allows them to stay in Canada for the duration of their study program.

After receiving a Letter of Acceptance from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in Canada, you can apply for a Study Permit. You’ll also need to provide proof of sufficient funds, a police clearance certificate, and a medical exam in some cases.

Yes, with a valid Study Permit, you can work up to 20 hours per week during academic sessions and full-time during breaks, such as winter or summer holidays.

PGWP allows graduates from Canadian post-secondary institutions to work in Canada for up to three years after completing their studies. The length of the work permit depends on the duration of your study program.

Yes, many international students choose to apply for permanent residency after completing their studies. Programs like the Canadian Experience Class or Provincial Nominee Program can be pathways to permanent residency.

Express Entry is a points-based immigration system that ranks candidates based on factors like age, education, work experience, and language proficiency. High-ranking candidates are invited to apply for permanent residency.

Studying in Canada can earn you points for education and Canadian work experience under the Express Entry system. Moreover, graduates from Canadian institutions might be eligible for immigration streams like the PGWP or Provincial Nominee Programs, further easing the transition to permanent residency.

After your Study Permit expires, you have 90 days to either apply for a different permit (like the PGWP) or leave Canada.

Yes, spouses or common-law partners of international students can apply for an open work permit, and dependent children can join you in Canada and attend primary or secondary schools.

Many provinces in Canada have immigration streams specifically for international students. Under the PNP, provinces can nominate students to become permanent residents based on criteria set by the province.


USA Tourist VISA

The U.S. tourist visa is commonly referred to as the B-2 visa.

The B-2 visa typically allows visitors to stay in the U.S. for up to six months. However, the exact duration of your stay will be determined by the U.S. Customs and Border Protection officer at the port of entry.

Yes, you might be asked to provide proof of your travel plans, details of your stay, and proof of financial means to support your visit.

Yes, you can apply for an extension by filing Form I-539, “Application To Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status,” with USCIS. It’s recommended to apply well before your allowed stay expires.

No, the B-2 visa is strictly for leisure, tourism, and medical visits. You cannot engage in study or employment on this visa.

Yes, in many cases, it’s possible to change your status from B-2 to another nonimmigrant visa category, provided you meet the eligibility criteria for the new visa and haven’t violated terms of the B-2 visa.

While travel insurance is not mandatory for B-2 visa holders, it’s highly recommended due to the high cost of medical care in the U.S.

Typically, short visits to contiguous countries or adjacent islands and then a return to the U.S. are considered part of your initial stay, and you won’t get a new period of stay. However, always check the specifics before traveling.

While a return ticket isn’t a mandatory requirement for the B-2 visa, having one can help demonstrate your intent to return to your home country, which may be evaluated upon entry.



The Canadian tourist visa is commonly known as the Visitor Visa or Temporary Resident Visa (TRV).

Visitors on a TRV can typically stay in Canada for up to six months. However, the exact length of your stay will be determined by the Canada Border Services Agency officer at the port of entry.

You must have a valid passport, be in good health, have no criminal or immigration-related convictions, prove ties to your home country, show you have funds for your stay, and have a letter of invitation if someone is hosting you.

Yes, if you wish to extend your stay, you should apply for an extension at least 30 days before your current status expires.

No, the TRV is for tourism, visiting family/friends, or business visits. To work or study, you’ll need the appropriate work or study permit.

Processing times can vary depending on the visa office where you applied, and other factors. It’s recommended to check the official Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website for current processing times.

While most visitors don’t need a medical exam, it may be required if you plan to stay for more than six months or have lived recently in certain countries or territories.

Yes, visa-exempt foreign nationals flying to or transiting through Canada will need an eTA, but not a TRV. This does not apply to U.S. citizens or travelers with a valid visa.

If you wish to visit the U.S. from Canada, you’ll need to meet U.S. visa requirements. Your Canadian TRV only permits you to return to Canada from the U.S.